Gensabi's Castle Of TG Capped Pics

Gensabi's Castle Of TG Capped Pics

Monday, May 2, 2016

About The Rachel's Haven Conflict

Dear Readers,

This is my LAST post about this, ok? I will still respond to comments about this because I do my best to respond to all comments, but this is the last blog post I'm going to devote to this. Because it would be nice to get back to making more new capped pics again, right?

I do have to take back one thing I said, and that's the no regrets.

I have one huge regret about what happened years ago, and that's that I think Rachel took it personally, or that anybody took it personally.

I had a lot of direct discussions with Rachel about it. We debated it. I was passionate about not excluding people. She was passionate about getting more participation from readers. She was adamant that her system did more good than harm.

It was not personal.

Back then a lot of TG Fiction writers struggled with not getting feedback about their works from readers. This was before blog analytics and all these new ways to have anonymous posting and such.

You see, I used to even talk to readers on Yahoo Messenger. I had this one reader that was so paranoid about his family finding out he reads this stuff. He never saved any to his computer. If he felt like his identity was too traceable he'd change it. I talked with him as he changed his email at least four times in the course of a couple months. TG wasn't socially acceptable. It still isn't to a huge degree.

I had messages on my groups by people who said English isn't their first language. The sentences were broken in the messages but they wrote that it's hard for them to communicate in English and that's why they don't comment or comment often.

These people were part of my audience. They were ones that kept coming back even if I didn't know they existed prior to a chance comment.

These are people that would be denied access to my works under the Haven's system of governance.

They're the ones that get excluded by that system now. All that TG Fiction history, history I was lucky enough to live through and be a part of they are denied access to while I get a free pass for being a captioner. 

Is that fair? No. It's not.

And yes, the Haven has its good qualities. The intent was good. 

I was voicing out against a regime of oppression. Basic concepts, that's what it amounts to. 

I wasn't personally going after anybody. My goal was equality and equal access for all, and I turned out to be the bad guy?

Like I said, Rachel and I debated a lot of this in private. I did try to work with her, I tried asking if there's a way to compromise.

At the time I had over 5,000 group members and I told you stories about a couple above. I wanted to make sure if my capped pics were archived somewhere that each and every one of my members and others could access them freely without obstacles.

She wouldn't budge on that. No exceptions. Nowhere else other than the Gallery for me to put them. Not in any free access places on there.

Before the Haven things were unstable for TG Fiction online. Websites were purged regularly. We all went to Lycos Groups then that closed down. I went with some to Yahoo Groups, and others went elsewhere.

The Haven was needed. It has a good purpose. It has a good cause in preservation, but it's not a Haven for everyone. 

That's what I was trying to change. 

Yes, I was upset that nobody else that was on there from the old days, names I knew and recognized, that they didn't stand up for what was right from the start. 

You see, they didn't have to go through the participation process because of notoriety. 

And at that time the participation process wasn't a set number of posts, it was something organic. They charted your level of participation and certain levels got certain access, and if you started to slack off you could go back down in level of access.

That's how it was when I tried fighting it. Tried changing it.

I understood why they did it. I could even sympathize with it. But I could not agree with it, and I could not sit idly by and not do something.

I never meant to hurt Rachel if I did, or anybody else. I followed my morals, values, and principles and tried to do what's right over what's easy or gratifying.

Why anybody even brought this back up is beyond me. Why did it become a big deal for me?

On my "Legacy?" post someone commented that the reason I don't have a legacy, why nobody else makes captions using stuff I've created, is because this went down several years ago.

That's where the thought about being blacklisted came from. That's where those last two posts came from.

My fingers are getting tired from typing all this tonight.

Honestly, I never thought this stuff would come up ever again. Bygones were bygones.

I do my thing and they do theirs.

Some of you that commented were like "Who? What? Why?" and then others knew exactly what it was and brought out the old arguments.

So the lesson here is that the TG community at large can really hold a grudge I guess, well, at least the oldest part of the community now.

If Lycos Groups hadn't ended it'd have been different. It was better than Yahoo and everybody knew everybody and got along great. Lurkers, commenters, cappers, and readers it didn't matter. That was back in 2003 folks. 

Like I said, before the Haven the old TG Fiction Community was more inclusive of everyone no matter what. I tried to keep it that way.

Oh! And a tidbit! 

I had a girlfriend way back before this Haven thing went down. Fiancee even so I disclosed the whole Gensabi thing to her.

She saw how many group members I had, that people liked what I did, and tried to get me to write TG Fiction for money.

You know what I told her?

I told her it's not about money. It's about the art and the community. It's about being available to everyone. That way there's nothing to stop transgender people from accessing this type of fiction. 

Of course, we didn't work out. But to me what I told her was the truth. That's what the TG scene was. Then came the Haven.

Look, if I didn't believe the way I do then this blog wouldn't exist.

It wouldn't be about the art of captioning. It would all just be on the Haven and you'd have to jump through hurdles to see it and I wouldn't be able to write half the stuff I do based on their guidelines.

This was over several years ago. 

Can we please put this zombie down? Give it mercy? Head = dead? Can I move onto other things...stuff...things? 

Sincerely,
Gensabi


7 comments:

  1. Just to add on here.

    I have a bad feeling this won't be the end of this because later on down the road someone might mention it again. Why? Because what I originally posted at the Haven is still there and readable I presume.

    So, that's the pain of the internet, that something you wrote 8 years ago can come back to haunt you.

    Seriously, that's how long ago this happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just forget about it and move on. That's what everyone should do. And not drudge up old history. And using it to get you riled up. That's a cowardly tactic. Stay strong gensabi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It just surprised me when it came up. I just did a two parter to get my mind off it though, I'm about to upload it now.

      Delete
  3. Commenting on open questions is a "cowardly tactic" now?

    - Gensabi wanted to know why his legacy did not catch on with other cappers

    - Commenter suggested that it might have something to do with the fact that a hurtful and generalizing statement about a community of other cappers that was made here on this blog.

    It's a shame that said commenter expressed it in a way that put salt in old wounds. Besides, I can see objectivity in the commenters point.

    A legacy is passed on by reaching out to people. Calling them names is the opposite. That is a statement you can like or hate or ignore, but there is truth in it

    I'm no capper but I guess I wouldn't want to be called that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The comments I made predate the blog. This happened back in 2008 when I was still on Yahoo Groups.

      Like I said it wasn't personal. And if people don't want to be called NAZIS then don't act like them.

      I wasn't referencing the death and concentration camps, but the suppression of art from the people. Of controlling the culture.

      I take it you never saw "Swing Kids" which detailed how Hitler tried to stop all non-German influences on the culture from music to art. Or "Monuments Men" which was about Allied forces trying to get back art the NAZIS stole from museums across Europe and were trying to hide away for themselves. There's still artwork missing today because of what the NAZIS did in World War 2.

      They took a community that was open to everyone and made it segregated. All the captioners had total access to their museum of capped pics while everyone else had to meet participation levels to gain access at all.

      That's not equality. What does the Transgender community want? Equality. They flipped the script and went from being inclusive to being exclusive.

      They would exclude you from access if you didn't comment on things as much or as often as they wanted.

      When you have readers that are afraid of online text trails or English is their second language then their system shuts them out.

      I was talking about their system when I made those comments back around 2008. I compared it with history.

      Look, if you don't believe in equality and freedom that's your business, but neither did the NAZIS. Maybe the term fascism is more polite.

      I'm the bad guy though for trying to let everyone read the capped pics. Because the guy trying to strive for equality is the bad guy, and the people who want to restrict access are the good guys. Uh huh. That makes perfect sense.

      So you're agreeing that because I used my freedom of speech and tried to stand up for my readers I deserve to be blacklisted by an entire community that wasn't even part of that fight 8 years ago.

      Yeah this happened 8 years ago. I just started trying to explain my side of it on the blog because of that one comment.

      So tell me this, would you like to be forever judged by something you said online years ago?

      Because honestly, if this is always going to be the case why should I keep doing this? Why should I keep making new capped pics for people to read if it's never going to amount to anything? That my legacy is already determined by trying to fight for reader equality 8 years ago?

      8 years from now will it really make a difference by still captioning pics?

      Because 8 years just went by and people are still mad about that and they still judge me based on that.

      Delete
  4. Gensabi,

    you are right. The past is in the past - so why not leave it there?

    As you correctly said, a lot of time has passed since then. There are many new cappers out who have not been there eight years before. Cappers who don't know what has happened.

    Now is it fair to lay judgement on them by re-iterating bad experiences?

    I have not been a part of this past either, as many recent readers of your blog. As a matter of fact, I come here unbiased by that past that I do not know. I am judging you solely by what you are saying here and now which, thus far, has been an endless rant of anger and writing Nazis in capslock.

    All that ought to be said is that there are many cappers who will sure love your ideas and WILL pass on your capping legacy - that is, if you reach out and show and open and positive attitude instead of condemning people now simply because they are a part of a community that you clashed with eight years ago; because your current policy condemns them all alike.

    You wanted tips on how to root your cap legacy. My tip is to spread love and creative energy. Spreading negativity is rather counterproductive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I write NAZIS in caps lock because it's an acronym.

      Delete