Gensabi's Castle Of TG Capped Pics

Gensabi's Castle Of TG Capped Pics

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Fixed!

Dear Readers, 

Here's the lowdown. 

Updating to Windows 8.1 and getting all the current Windows updates let me get back into the account and defeated the black screen portion of the virus.

Then I started to get the Google Chrome crashing notices, and the memory was being eaten up.

I used Task Manager to see there was multiple Google Chromes running.

I do not use Google Chrome and have never installed it.

I opened the file location from Task Manager and located the virus. I deleted it from there, but it kept coming back. Knowing where it kept going to was highly important though.

It kept going to Appdata/LocalLow/Microsoft folder.

Now this virus is tricky because it hides itself as Google Chrome and even uses the logo but the file name and folders are nonsensical and seem to be different for each infected computer, thus why doing a Google search for the file or folder name didn't produce results.

Thanks to a commenter on here it's easier to find information about it by searching for "Google Chrome virus".

I found a tutorial on YouTube of how to remove it from Windows 7, but the dude who made the video should have been saying what he was doing too.

I finally found out you have to hold down the shift key while pressing the restart button in order to get Windows 8.1 to start the screens to get into Safe Mode.

This is where narration in the video would've been helpful, because just by watching it I had no clue how to get into the registry files.

Thanks to another commenter though, I was able to do that and deleted the registry file for the virus!

So far, so good.

The other tutorial I found online had people downloading 3 different apps to get rid of it! One just for this virus, another anti-malware program, and then an ad blocker.

I have a feeling each one of those programs were probably more malware the virus creators wanted you to have.

So it's an easy fix once you know what you're doing. And the virus didn't occur until my Kaspersky expired. 

My conspiracy theory is that if you don't renew then they put a virus on your computer just for spite! 

Sincerely,
Gensabi

5 comments:

  1. It's completely done this time. I checked every so often over the past few hours and no more Google Chrome, and performance has been stellar. I was going to cap some more, but it's too late tonight to start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got everything worked out and without the need for a new laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great. Hope it's gone for good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now get that capping engine started! Vroom Vroom

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad that you were able to fix it

    ReplyDelete